Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"ideas"


Today in English we were going over the aspects that make a good piece of writing. The first one was to be able to come up with an array of ideas (specifically on your topic, not something completely random). He told us to start writing down moments from our past. He gave us about 4 minutes. I went straight back to elementary school, and that was at least 7 years ago. Those were easily the best days. Those simple memories, I will never forget.

I've realized my mind is exactly like a  Kindergartener's - one thing after an other, fast and bubbly "and, and and, and and." So in my four minutes, I came up with this. (If I had more time, it would've be much longer). I also think that I am the best at making grasping opening lines, as you will notice.


There was the day

 

When Amanda barfed on the way 

to the garbage can

and we had to sit

in the hall for the rest of the day.

And the next day

the classroom smelt like vinegar,

and I hate vinegar.

And I gave Cody

a mushy Valentine’s Day card,

and he told the class

and they laughed at me.

And Tyler peed his pants,

and we laughed at him.

And Troy  brought his baby brother

in for show and tell, 

and he also brought his Transformers 

and we we'd sing the theme song.

And once he said his Mom 

let him drink wine the night before.

We were all jealous.

And I think Ms. Coultas wanted

some because she talked

to Troy’s Mom after class.

And the mean grade sevens

said there was a tiger behind me,

but they lied so I didn’t believe them

when they told me to go get a duty

because one of them hurt themselves.

And Clarissa climbed too high

on the tree 

during Rocket Ship,

and I tried saving her.

And I got stuck too.

And Tyler’s Mom was the lunch duty

and she’d never let us leave the class

until we finished our lunch.

And I never liked ham and cheese sandwiches. 

So we'd pretend she was an evil witch 

and sneak past her.

And Jake Spring and I had the same birthday,

except it was in the summer,

so don’t know why his last name is Spring. 

And he’s a year older than me,

but he’s in my grade because

he got to do Kindergarten twice.

I want to do Kindergarten twice.


Is it depressing that I'm really proud of this, while I should be writing at a grade 12 level?

No comments:

Post a Comment